Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Palace of Tears

June 25th, 2013 3:00 pm

Entering the Palace of Tears made the history more real to me. I think that it is a memorial so that the history is not forgotten, furthermore so that history is not repeated. I think the site honors both the West Berliners who were forced to leave their friends and families in East Berlin and the East Berliners who were separated from their friends and families by the wall. As I walked through the site reading the testimonials I couldn't fathom experiencing the tribulations and oppression they went through. Hearing the descriptions of the fatalities caused by individuals merely trying to reconnect with their families across the wall definitely caused an ache in my heart. It is called the Palace of Tears because it is the bitter site of tearful goodbyes with the ominous feeling of doubtful reunions lingering over those leaving. I found it interesting how the wall not only separated East and West Berlin but it also trapped those in East Berlin as the wall segregated the area from the surrounding countries. I think that the wall not only kept money, profit, and economic status from leaving the area; but it also ensured that the SED would have citizens to mandate over. I loved how the site was free to the public because it allows everyone, citizens and tourists to experience the history of the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment