Friday, June 28, 2013

Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Reflection

I didn't know what to expect when preparing for our visit to Sachsenhausen. I had read the book Night before so I had some insight into the terrible injustice that occurred at camps, but I never could quite envision it. When we got off the U-Bahn we had a fifteen minute walk to the Concentration camp, winding through neighborhoods. We later learned that this was the same route prisoners took to get to the camp. Our tour guide described to us that the people of the town claimed to not know about the prisoners of the camp. From our experience, I find this unlikely. In our tour around the camps, our guide painted a picture of what life as a prisoner was like, which allowed us to understand the suffering of those who lived there. The cabins were so interesting to look at, I was shocked to learn that 3-4 men shared a twin size bed, granted there was no mattresses.  It was really heart wrenching to see where the mass murders took place. I was astounded by the small size of the gas chamber. As I stood there I couldn't help but feel like the memorial couldn't possibly begin to convey everything that occurred there.  Our visit to the memorial is something that will be engrained in me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment