Monday, May 6, 2013

Providing Creative Solutions: artists engaged

Germany 

One message that I see transcending is of cultural identity. Each artist has their 
own story and shares it through their art.  I particularly was interested in the street art because I feel like it is such a liberating artistic expression and it evokes a feeling in the viewer. Graffiti gives a sense of identity to the hidden artist and allows the artist to express their individuality. I noticed a lot of art by Turkish-Germans which I think speaks to the coming together of cultures and starts the conversation about racial tensions. I would say that the art movement in Germany is focused on acknowledging and dealing with emotional trauma in their history and is liberating them for their past.


Spain 

The art seems to be a social commentary on the economic crisis, the high unemployment rates. I particularly loved the flash mob performance art events built on fake spontaneity that was a form of protest. I liked how the unemployment office responded back in a flash mob, but their message was of support for those seeking employment.  The film pieces often discussed the Civil War and Franco era and addressed how to move forward. There were also films that addressed the everyday effects of the economic state and how it affects individuals and groups within society. Overall the contemporary art in Spain reflects the effects of the state of the economy and unemployment, and the questions about identity lingering from the Civil War.

No comments:

Post a Comment